- Gracious owners, Manolis and Sabine organize some great activities to make your holiday just fabulous.
- You could explore the area by yourself; this is the perfect place for walking and biking enthusiasts with some great paths around. Hike uphill on the E4 footpath from the hotel straight to the Lassithi plateau.
- Relax with a Swedish massage or aromatherapy.
- For experienced paragliders there is a take-off located right behind the hotel and a landing field down in the valley, both visible from Velani's terrace.
- Last but not least, Country Hotel Velani has its equestrian center "The Odysseia Stables" providing professional lessons, hacking, day trips, and trekking for all levels and ages.
All these activities are organized on-site or around the hotel.
- Velani has its professional equestrian center on-site. Organizing horse riding treks, hacks, and lessons for riders of all levels.
- Free available routes for walking and biking
- Weekly trekking by foot or horse.
- Paragliding for experienced pilots
- Swedish massage, Thai massage or aromatherapy.
- For groups, the hotel organizes speleology (caving), as well as mountain climbing.
- An 18 hole golf course is located 7 km from the hotel.
- Different water sports can be found along the coast.
- Or maybe you would like to visit some small villages. The village of Krasi with a water spring and a very large old Platanus tree. The village of Mochos for a drink in its central village square. The traditional village of Amariano was you will be the only tourist. A perfect place to meet the Cretans in the taverna opposite of the water springs.
- With older children, you might prefer a visit to the aqua fun park for an exciting day of slides and lazy rivers. Distance 7 km. Or the sea aquarium is worth a visit.
- Discover the wines of Crete. Taste the delicious wines made from grapes varieties that have been used since Minoan times. Some of those grape varieties are Trapsathiry, filana, vilana, Kotsifali and Mandilari. A winery you can visit is the Boutary Winery in the village of Skalani, close to Heraklion.
- Sail to the small island of Dia from Heraklion Port.
- Visit the nearby small town of Agios Nikolaos, with its unique features, the lake ("Voulismeni"), a folklore-inspiringly deep body of water that is connected to the sea by a narrow inlet. It is surrounded and overlooked by cafes and restaurants - a busy gathering place for local residents and visitors alike.
- Next stop is the cosmopolitan Elounda Village, The way from Agios Nikolaos to Elounda maybe is one of the most beautiful ways on the island. Keep driving to the village Plaka, with a marvelous view of Spinalonga Island. A visit to the island is a must and will be unforgettable!
- Are you interested in Minoan Civilization we would propose a visit to the Archeological Site of Malia (5 km), which is the third-largest Minoan palace in Crete, built in a wonderful setting near the sea, next to a marvelous long sandy beach?
- Knossos Minoan Palace is the largest palace, the most powerful one, during that period, the monumental symbol, due to its architectural plan, size, and advanced building techniques ( Knossos 5 km from Heraklion city, 30 km from Chersonissos). All the treasure of Knossos is exposed in the archeological museum of Heraklion.
- A worth visit at the Natural Museum of Heraklion, kids will love it.
- Enjoy one of the best sailing trips in Crete, dive in crystal water enjoy your champaign, and choose the BBQ between meat or seafood. Luxury service & top quality, for those who appreciate being pampered.
- For golf lovers, the Crete Golf Club, the only 18-hole golf course on the island and one of the most impressive courses of the Mediterranean, which holds a unique challenge and a pleasant experience for both golf players and visitors all year round, is located very close to the villas, just 5 km away.
- Take an excursion to Lassithi Plateau, 900m above sea level is a vast expanse of green fields interspersed with pear and apple orchards and almond trees. Lasithi's major sight is the Dikteon Cave just outside the village of Psychro. Here according to legend, Rea hid the newborn Zeus from Cronos, his offspring-gobbling father.
Explore all our activities in Heraklion region!!
- Check-in: 14.00 pm
- Check out: 12.00 pm
- Minimum Stay: 2-3 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy: Please check here!
- Cancellation Policy: Please check here!
How To Get There
The Country Hotel Velani is centrally located in the middle of Crete Island, 40km east of the city of Heraklion and at the foot of the Dikti Mountains.
- By Air
From April through October there are direct charter and scheduled flights to Heraklion Airport (36.5km ) and also to Chania airport (184km). Or even to the small airport of Sitia (115km)Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
If you love traveling by ferry, reserve a flight to Athens and then from Piraeus port to Heraklion (39.5km) by ferry. It takes 8 hours and the ferries are good. Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries from our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Here you will eat very well
- Internet Access: Free WiFi throughout
- Swimming Pool: The main swimming pool is 100 square meters large and ranges from 150 cm to 170 cm deep. The children’s pool is 10 square meters large and 40 cm deep.
- Spa Treatments: Pamper yourself using with one of the Swedish or Thai massages
- Great activities do not miss them
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: Pets are allowed, dogs must be lined on the property
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English, Dutch
- Parking: Free public parking is possible on site