- Hiring a car is highly recommended, for daily excursions along the island.
- The Palace of Knossos is situated 15km away from Sgourokefali Village, you can combine the visit of the Palace with a visit to the archeological museum of Heraklion where all the treasures of Knossos are exposed.
- The visit of Knossos can also be combined with a visit to the Village of Archanes which has won the 2nd "best-restored village in Europe". There are four archaeological sites here - one in the village (a fenced excavation) and three close by, at Anemospilia, at Fourni (on the edge of the village - a Minoan graveyard) and the fourth one, Vathypetro, on the way to Houdetsi is worthwhile not only for the finds but also some of the most magnificent views of Crete which you can see from the site - a unique vantage point.
- Explore the nearby (1.5km) canyon of Karteros. A small canyon is quite easily accessible for all ages with rich vegetation, many traditions, and fascinating history.
- Visit the nearby (2km) Monastery of Agarathos. Τhe Abbey Agarathou is dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin Mary. It celebrates on the 15th of August. The temple is diklitos. The other klitos is dedicated to the Saint Minas. Don't miss celebrating orthodox Easter if you are lucky to be in Crete during this period.
- The closest sandy beach of Amnisos is also a famous name in Minoan archeology. The first habitation in the area of Palaiochora (Amnissos) dates from the Middle Minoan period (19th century B.C.). The site is mentioned as a-mi-mi-so in the Linear B tablets. The Minoan Villa of the Lilies was destroyed by fire in the 15th century B.C. but complexes C and E continued to be inhabited until the 12th century B.C. In the Archaic period (7th century B.C.) the sanctuary of Zeus Thenatas was founded and remained in use until the 2nd century A.D. After a long period of abandonment, the hill was again inhabited during the Venetian occupation.
- For wine lovers, we propose the Paterianakis Bio Winery at Melesses Village.
- Visit the Museum of Nikos Kazantzakis (15km) at Mirtia (or Varvaroi) the important intellectual, author, thinker, philosopher, politician, and traveler.
- Do you know how ceramics are made and decorated? There is a ceramics lab in Anopoli village. Test your skills in ceramics and keep your creations as a souvenir.
- Or drive to the south coast - it's only an hour away - to see the ex-hippy-hangout of Matala and the stunning seas of Komos and Agiofaraggo.
- Drive east along the coast (66km) to Agios Nikolaos, which centers on a small, deep lake, ringed by tavernas and cafes. Follow the coastal road through Elounda to Plaka, then take a boat trip to the mysterious islet of Spinalonga (a former leper colony)
- What do you think about horse riding in a gorge or even better on the beach? A horse riding center is situated in Karteros and organizes ridings in the area or a bit further at Avdou Village (34km).
- Lassithi Plateau is ideal for those who love cycling. Enjoy the 18km ride that goes through almost all the little villages. This ride is especially nice.
- Visit the Cretaquarium (13km), and exploring the amazing world of the Mediterranean sea, hundreds of species, and thousands of living organisms.
- Do you enjoy golf playing? The Crete Golf Club (29km) is a championship course, the only 18-hole golf course on the island of Crete and one of the most impressive courses of the Mediterranean, which holds a unique challenge and a pleasant experience for both golf players and visitors all year round.
- Kazani - see how the Cretans brew their Schnapps "raki". Almost like moon shining - you will spend an evening at a small distillery in Sgourokefali. Food, wine and lots of raki. You can participate in this special event only during October.
- Find more exciting activities in Heraklion Area.
- Check-in: 15.00 pm
- Check out: 12.00 pm
- Minimum Stay: 7 nights (1.4.2024- 30.11.2024) & 3 nights (01.12.2024-31.03.2025).
- Rates are for 1- 8 persons / per night on room rate basis and includes free wifi, AC and all taxes (except stay-over tax).
- Extra Charge for Central Heating (30 € per night), Woods (20 € per night).
- Baby cot on request & free of charge.
- Payment Policy:
Credit card details (Visa or Mastercard) are required to charge the deposit amount in order to confirm the reservation.
No additional charges will be made to the credit card unless cancellation charges have to be applied.
Balance amount is to be paid directly to Agrielia at the time of stay in cash (no credit cards are accepted by Agrielia).
- Cancellation Policy:
Up to 31 days before arrival - full refund.
30-16 days prior to arrival 50% of total will be charged.
15-08 days prior to arrival 75% of total will be charged.
07- 01 days prior to arrival/non show 100% of total will be charged.
How To Get There
Agrielia Cretan Traditional House is located at Sgourokefali Village. The village of Sgourokefali is 19km southeast of Heraklion on the exit at 8 km south fork of the Heraklion – Agios Nikolaos high way. The village itself has a maze of narrow streets, old stone houses, peaceful squares, unpretentious taverns, and a selection of shops, where you find almost everything you need, except tourist products. The people of the village welcome every visitor with great hospitality.
- By Air
From May through October there are direct charter and scheduled flights to Heraklion Airport (17.5km) and also to Chania Airport (166km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- y sea
If you love traveling by ferry, reserve a flight to Athens and then from Piraeus port to Heraklion by ferry. It takes 8 hours and the ferries are good. Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: The House has a fully equipped kitchen that provides you with everything you need to prepare your meal, in the garden you can also use the BBQ
- Internet Access: Wi-Fi access
- Swimming Pool: The house's pool size is 4 x 6 width (0.80 to 1.40 depth)
- Spa Treatments: Not available
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: Not allowed
- Smoking: Allowed
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: Private Parking
- Good to know: 5 bikes (with baby seats) are available (no charge)