Hiring a car is highly recommended, for daily excursions along the island during your stay in beautiful Villa Margarita.
The quiet location of the Villa Margarita is an ideal place to relax and also interact with real Crete. In the nearby village of Episkopi which is only 1.3 km away from the villa, you can find essential shops such as taverns, supermarkets, butcher, bakery and pharmacy, etc.
The whole area is ideal for people who love activities such as trekking, hiking, mountaineering, cycling, caving or you can just enjoy exploring the fascinating surrounding traditional villages to experience the real Crete.
Also, many places are easily visited from the villa and attractive for families such as 2 water parks (6 km and 23 km), aquarium (19 km), dinosaurs theme park (18 km) and ostrich zoo park (2 km), etc and guests will have many choices for their daily entertainment.
Several organized beaches are easily accessed from the villa such as Amnissos beach (8.7 km), Karteros beach (9 km), Tobruk beach (9 km), Florida beach (10.1 km) and Arina beach (11.7 km), etc.
The Palace of Knossos is situated 13 km away from Episkopi, you can combine the visit of the Palace with a visit to the archeological museum of Heraklion where all the treasures of Knossos are exposed.
The visit of Knossos can also be combined with a visit to the Village of Archanes which has won the 2nd "best-restored village in Europe". There are four archaeological sites here - one in the village (a fenced excavation) and three close by, at Anemospilia, at Fourni (on the edge of the village - a Minoan graveyard) and the fourth one, Vathypetro, on the way to Houdetsi is worthwhile not only for the finds but also some of the most magnificent views of Crete which you can see from the site - a unique vantage point.
For wine lovers, we propose the Buttari winery in Skalani village (13 km), We propose the guided tour through the winemaking process, the installations and the barrel cellars.
Visit the Museum of Nikos Kazantzakis (15km) at Mirtia (or Varvaroi) the important intellectual, author, thinker, philosopher, politician, and traveler (15km).
Do you know how the ceramics are made and decorated? There is a ceramics lab in Anopoli village. Test your skills in ceramics and keep your creations as a souvenir.
Or drive to the south coast - it's only an hour away - to see the ex-hippy-hangout of Matala and the stunning seas of Komos
Drive east along the coast (33km) to Agios Nikolaos, which centers on a small, deep lake, ringed by tavernas and cafes. Follow the coastal road through Elounda to Plaka, then take a boat trip to the mysterious islet of Spinalonga (a former leper colony)
What do you think about horse riding in a gorge or even better on the beach? A horse riding center is situated in Karteros and organizes ridings in the area or a bit further at Avdou Village (34km).
Lassithi Plateau is ideal for those who love cycling. Enjoy the 18km ride that goes through almost all the little villages. This ride is especially nice.
Visit the Cretaquarium (13 km), and exploring the amazing world of Mediterranean sea, hundreds of species and thousands of living organisms.
Do you enjoy golf playing? The Crete Golf Club (29 km) is a championship course, the only 18-hole golf course on the island of Crete and one of the most impressive courses of the Mediterranean, which holds a unique challenge and a pleasant experience for both golf players and visitors all year round.
North Coast Beaches :
- Karteros beach (9 km): It is a nicely organized beach with golden sand and clean waters. The beach of Karteros has been awarded by the EU Blue Flag. It is a nice place for fishing and swimming as well.
- Tobruk beach (9 km): It is a beautiful beach with clear waters & very fine golden sand. The beach is organized with umbrellas, chairs, shower. Beachside there are several tavernas and beach bars.
- Florida beach (10.1 km): Florida Beach is located 7km east of Heraklion and is the calmest of all beaches. There are a few umbrellas and not too many facilities around, compared to the easternmost beaches. On the beach, a small lake is formed, which dries up in summer. In Florida, you should visit the old Church of St. John and St. Nikon Metanoite, which is built inside a large cave.
- Arina beach (11.7 km): The most organized beach of Heraklion is located in the westernmost part of Vathianos Kambos and is called Arina. It is a long sandy beach, where thousands of locals gather daily to enjoy swimming and… crowds! It is full of umbrellas, beach bars and offers many options for beach sports.
- Ammoudara Beach (21 km): The beach of Amoudara is a long beach with fine brownish sand. It is organized with sunbeds, umbrellas, beach bars, lifeguards, showers, changing rooms and water sports, etc.
- Palaiokastro beach (29 km): It is a picturesque beach with pebbles and one of the most beloved beaches of locals. The beach is well organized with sunbeds, umbrellas, taverns and a mini-market. Moreover, the sea is deep and it's western part has very large pebbles. The rocky seabed is ideal for fishing and snorkeling.
- Stalida beach (32 km): The beach of Stalida is very well organized with umbrellas, lifeguards, beach volley courts, showers, beach bars, water sports, changing rooms, etc. There is also a small colony of Cretan date palms, one of the few of north Heraklion prefecture.
- Ligaria beach (34 km): The beach of Ligaria is very beautiful with coarse sand and turquoise calm waters, while the small boats create magic scenery. Also, the bay of Ligaria is closed and well protected from the winds blowing in the region. It is very well organized with umbrellas, sunbeds, water sports, a diving school, beach bars, and restaurants.
- Agia Pelagia beach (36 km): The beach is a long and narrow beach with sand and greenish waters. Also, the water is almost always calm and the bay forms a tranquil harbor. The beach offers many options for water sports, diving, umbrella, and food, etc.
- Psaromoura beach (37 km): Psaromoura beautiful beach is pebbly and is very popular with locals. On the north end, there is a large rock with many foldings which protects the beach from the waves. Another feature of the beach is the fish-boat that is tied to a makeshift pier, which makes the landscape look like a painting. Psaromoura nowadays is organized with full of umbrellas, sunbeds, and a canteen.
South Coast Beaches :
- Aspes beach (53.9 km): Aspes non-organized - magical beach, has dark-colored sand and it is surrounded by almost vertical high cliffs with beautiful caves formed in them. The colors of the sea have a vivid turquoise color, making it one of the most beautiful and scenic beaches of Crete and probably the nicest beach of Heraklion prefecture. It is accessible only by boat.
- Agios Nikitas beach (57.5 km): A most lovely beach, it has small pebbles and deep blue waters. Flanked by red rocks of a volcanic origin, other massive rocks lying here and there on the beach make it a most unusual sight. It is not organized and without any infrastructure whatsoever. The place is also noted for a tiny stand of Theophrastus palms (the native Cretan species), fenced off and near the monastery, it almost looks like an oasis in a desert!
- Matala beach (82 km): It is one of the most popular destinations of Crete and the most famous beach of Heraklion. It is famous for the carved caves in the rocks and the hippies of the ‘70s. The bay is a beautiful 300 m long sandy beach with fine gravel & crystal clear deep water. The beach is well organized with umbrellas, toilets, showers, lifeguards, first aids, beach volley courts, snack bars, water sports, excursion boats, etc.
- Lendas beach (85 km): Facing the Libyan sea on the south coast, it is located in a small touristic settlement called Lendas. Lendas is a crowded, pebbly beach and provides all the amenities of an organized beach such as sunbeds, umbrellas, and showers. There are also a lot of taverns in the settlement.
- Agiofarago beach (87 km): The beach of Agiofarago is not organized and is located at the exit of the homonym Gorge of Agiofarago. The beach is stunning with fine pebbles and clear blue waters, which are usually very calm. On the west of the beach, a beautiful arch is formed and you can swim its beneath.
Even more activities in Heraklion Prefecture
Check-in: 16.00 pm
Check out: 12.00 pm
Minimum Stay: 5-7 nights, depending on the season
How To Get There
Villa Margarita is located nearby Episkopi Village in Heraklion, Crete. The village itself has a maze of narrow streets, old stone houses, peaceful squares, unpretentious taverns and a selection of shops, where you find almost everything you need, except tourist products. The people of the village welcome every visitor with great hospitality.
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Heraklion Airport (12.4km from the village) and also to Chania Airport (162km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Heraklion Port (15km). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
Dining: The House has a fully equipped kitchen that provides you everything you need to prepare your meal, in the garden you can also use the BBQ and the stone oven
Welcome: Upon arrival, you will receive a basket full of local products free of charge
Internet Access: Wi-Fi access
Swimming Pool: 50 sq. m ecological swimming pool with counter-current swimming system. The pool area is fenced and it can easily be isolated for child safety.
Spa Treatments: Not available
Disabled Access: Not suitable
Pets: Not allowed
Languages Spoken: Greek, English
Parking: Private parking space with electric gate (underground securely gated parking)