- Lygaria (also Ligaria) is a small seaside resort 2 km to the east of Agia Pelagia. It is built in a small cove with a lovely sandy beach protected from the summer winds (Meltemi).
- Made is one of those hidden places, generally quieter than beach areas close to Heraklion, but with the facilities (if you include Lygaria and Agia Pelagia) that make spending days here a pleasure.
- Nearby Agia Pelagia is a beautiful natural bay with serene small gulfs. Despite being rather built up, this beach resort (20km from Heraklion) hugs a lovely, sandy beach with clear water and excellent swimming. In addition further west there is the well-known beach for locals of Psaromoura. A great option at the beginning and the end of the Summer.
- The settlement is named after the monastery of Saint Pelagia which is located 1 km westwards. Northward of the bay, there is a cave, known as "Evresi" (finding) because of the finding of the icon of Agia Pelagia. Excavations since 1970 uncovered remains of the Minoan and Hellenistic period including a big rectangle building of the 4th century B.C.
- Visit the birthplace of El Greco (Dominique Theotokopoulos) Fodele Village well worth seeing. Fodele is built in an area of orange groves and, according to historians, this was the site of the ancient town of Astali, which was the port of ancient Axos. Today, the people of Fodele may have overdone things with too many craft shops selling the same products, and many cheery tavernas squeezed together, but it remains a central destination for visitors to the area, for two main reasons: First, Fodele is very green. A very pretty park next to the main square of Fodele offers shade and a picnic site. Even at the beginning of summer, there is water running through it, reminding us why this area is so lush and verdant. And second to visit El Greco's House and Museum, A small collection of memorabilia and some interestingly displayed reproductions are housed in a building dating back to the life of this world-renowned painter and renaissance figure.
- In 30 min maybe less you are at the archeological site of Knossos which lies some 5 km south of Heraklion on a low, largely artificial hill. By far the largest of the Minoan palaces, it thrived over 3500 years ago at the heart of a highly sophisticated island-wide civilization.
- During the same day you could visit and one of the most important collections of Minoan art and artifacts anywhere in the world at Heraklion's Archeological Museum. The Museum, as Knossos as well, is almost always crowded (at least in Summer) therefore try to see it early or late for during everyone else's lunch break.
- Explore Rethymno's old town, perhaps the prettiest of Crete's Venetian cities and especially the waterfront and the streets just behind. Walk along the .harbour wall to the Venetian lighthouse. The Fortezza (fortress) was built by the Venetians in 1573 to protect the city. Not only are walls, churches and the remains of its buildings of interest, the view from it to the town area great way to start planning your tour of the town. There are also sweeping sea views. Open daily.
- For wine lovers, we propose the Boutari's winery in Skalani village (13km), We propose the guided tour through the wine-making process, the installations, and the barrel cellars.
- Lassithi Plateau is ideal for those who love cycling. Enjoy the 18km ride that goes through almost all the little villages. This ride is especially nice.
- Visit the small town of Agios Nikolaos, the town with its unique features, the lake ("Voulismeni"), a folklore-inspiringly deep body of water which is connected to the sea by a narrow inlet. It is surrounded and overlooked by cafes and restaurants - a busy gathering place for local residents and visitors alike. The next stop is the cosmopolitan Elounda, The way from Agios Nikolaos to Elounda is one of the most beautiful ways on the island.
- Keep driving to the village of Plaka, with the marvelous view to Spinalonga island. A visit to the island is a must and will be unforgettable!
- For golf lovers, the Crete Golf Club, the only 18-hole golf course on the island and one of the most impressive courses of the Mediterranean, holds a unique challenge and a pleasant experience for both golf players and visitors all year round, is located just 25 km away.
- We propose to organize full-day excursions to the south coasts, like the well-organized Matala beach, famous since 1960, as the hipes used to live there, in the caves, facing the bay and organizing parties. You can also visit the next beach Komos, a long sandy beach. with many trees for natural shadow. It would be better to go there a quiet day with no wind. Our third beach proposal is the Agiofarago Beach, just have in mind that from the parking place you need to walk 30 min. to reach the beach. At that beach, you will feel that you have a private beach. At this beach, there are also rocks appropriate for climbing. If you like climbing, don't forget your equipment.
- Or maybe you would like to drive down south to Gortyna, Phaestos, Zaros, or the south coast lapping on the shore at Lentas or the cave-surrounded beach of Matala. The scenic drive via time-worn villages, to Amari is also within reach.
- More uplifting activities in Heraklion area.
- Check-in: 15.00 (subject to availability)
- Check out: 12.00 pm (subject to availability)
- Minimum Stay: 2-3 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy:
Early : With these villas, a 20% deposit is charged upon confirmation on a credit card and the balance is payable 2 months before arrival by credit card.
Late : With these villas, we normally charge a 30% deposit on confirmation and the balance is payable 2 months before arrival. As it is less than 2 months before arrival, the total is payable now, on the confirmation.
- Cancellation Policy:
All amounts paid are Not refundable in the event of cancellation or if you are unable to take up the accommodation.
How To Get There
Aspalathos Villas is located at Ligaria just above Made small bay just 25 minutes from Heraklion Airport (21km).
- By Air
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Heraklion (21km) or to Chania (132km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
"The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Heraklion Port (21km) . Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: On arrival, except for the warm welcome of Maria, you will find a "welcome basket" - if you book through CreteTravel.com - with some Cretan products. Each fully equipped kitchen has a 4-ring ceramic top cooker with oven, microwave oven, full-size fridge, dishwasher, toaster, filter coffee machine, kettle, lemon squeezer, porcelain plates, tea & coffee cups, glasses, cutlery, etc. for 6-8 people plus a lot of essential items such as a corkscrew, bread knife, frying pan, casseroles, baking trays etc. You can dine at a long table seating 6-8 indoors, or at a big wooden table outdoors, by the pool. There are also pleasant seating areas in the garden for tranquil, relaxing evenings with stunning sunsets
- Internet Access: Free WiFi throughout
- Spa: Not Available
- Swimming Pool: Private, overflow system swimming pool 65 sqm (depth 1m-2.20m), paved with pebbles, in a position that offers privacy and breathtaking views of the sea and the surrounding mountain views.
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: Are not allowed
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: Private parking for at least five cars
- Other Facilities: Barbeque, Alarm System, Fenced & Gate Locked Property, Automatic Night Lighting