Milia Mountain Retreat, up in the mountains of western Crete in the Chania region, has endless hiking paths, wooded hillsides, and is far away from it all.
This retreat is an alternative, ecologically sound collection of stone buildings with a matching taverna serving natural foods. Somehow just staying here should prove meaningful… a return to the good old days.
Ecotourism, agrotourism, ecology, inspiring natural surroundings, and most importantly, respect for humanity and its needs: simplicity, harmony, clean air, warm hospitality, relaxed atmosphere, home-cooking, and some great activities.
This is what you will find in Milia Traditional Village, a small forgotten corner in Western Crete.
Scattered between chestnut, olive, arbutus, and oak trees, above a ravine running with fresh mountain water, Milia’s small stone houses hark back to a simpler, more self-reliant era.
Traditional stone and timber houses have been constructed to replicate the true, original style of life in Crete. However, the houses are reasonably comfortable. (Some bathrooms are small, but they were all upgraded).
Comfort is, as far as possible, delivered in a natural, ecologically friendly and efficient way. Mattresses are ecological and plush Coco-mat brand and even more efficient heating, solar power & waste management installations put in place.
Electricity gives way to oil or gas lamps – or candles. Hot water for your shower is always on tap. Fireplaces or wood stoves heat your room.
Wireless satellite internet connection is available (in the restaurant building) free of charge. You are also welcome to charge the battery of your laptop or mobile phone there.
At Milia, you’ll enjoy outdoor seating perches and indoor coziness in a heavily wooded area, with endless walking and hiking trails.
It has the atmosphere of an "alternative" place of this era – alternative in philosophy, without complete loss of comfort. Clearly for the lucky few!
- Hotel Name: Milia Traditional Village
- Area: Chania, Elos
- Why Go: Peaceful Rural Setting in Village,Quiet Location,Relaxed,Rural
Why we like it
- A rare re-creation: stone houses in a traditional Cretan village setting, in the mountains, with delicious organic local foods. Just unique.
- Absolute peace of mind... just you and nature... Enjoy.
- A top ecolodge for family, active adventures and local culture.
- The philosophy of “back to basics” has found true meaning at Milia.
- At Milia, nature is big and people small. For many city people this is a huge change. They are used to being at the center of everything. The important thing is to maintain quality and not compromise our ideals in the face of constant change.
What to know
- Before you probably book have in mind that Milia is in the west Cretan mountains (alt. 510m), 30km from Elafonisi bay (40-minute drive) and 22km from Kissamos bay, in a remote site and the access road leads you for the last kilometers over an earthen, lingering and mountainous road. Any normal car will take you there if you decide to come. From Hania is 65 km (1h10min. drive) and from Heraklion 180 km (3h30min. drive).
- Summer (June-Sep) is the loveliest time to visit Milia, escaping from the heat and crowds of the coast. Then again, April is the best month for wild flowers! Spring and Autumn are popular with walkers. Winter (Oct - March) is cold and rather dark indoors.
- Please note: Children between 1 and 4 years old need extra attention due to the mountainous environment. In addition, if your children are very active and noisy is better to avoid to a stay at Milia.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Small Hotels & Inns||Eco :|
|Children:||Welcome||Architecture & style :|
|Closed:||Never||Cheap & Chic :|