description Book now
Half-Day Hiking Tour In Picturesque Villages of Apokoronas. Apokoronas region is known as one of the greenest and lushest areas in West Crete with some beautiful villages, Maheri, Paidochori, Nio Chorio.
- 1-4 Hours
- History & Culture
- Trekking & Hiking
- Cretan Villages
We will start our hike by going gently uphill to the picturesque village of Maheri, set against the impressive rock-cliff. The restored traditional houses give the village a unique feeling and atmosphere.
A forgotten path leads us up to the church of Ypapanti and on to Paidochori Village, the views across the valley are stunning.
From here, our path takes us alongside a riverbed, through a magical forest of tall cypress trees, a haven for wild orchids in the spring!
From the hidden chapel of Archangel Michael, we climb gently up to the Turkish fortress (koules) above Nio Chorio village from where we are treated to panoramic views across.
From here, our path takes us down through the village and back to our starting point.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the regulations that have been put in place by the Greek Government concerning social distancing and personal protection against COVID-19, the prices of some excursions are subject to change, depending on the current, legal number of passengers allowed in transfer vehicles (cars and minibusses) on the day of the excursion. Feel free to contact us for further details and personalized offers.
- The small, picturesque villages of Apokoronas (Paidochori Maheri, Neo Chorio)
- Stunning views and varied scenery
- Small groups (max.8-10 persons)
- Private/Semi-private groups
Dates & Prices:
- for 2 people: 115.00 Euros / per person
for 3 people: 85.00 Euros / per person
for 4 people: 75.00 Euros / per person
for 5 people: 65.00 Euros / per person
for 6 people: 60.00 Euros / per person
- This trip can be organized from April to October.
- We do not have a fixed/weekly program, all trips are upon request and depend on availability.
- If you are a family, a bigger group? We can customize this trip according to your wishes.
- English-speaking host from hotel pick-up to hotel drop-off
- Private transfers (hotel-Nio Chorio-hotel). Transfers are based on hotels located in the area of Chania (Platanias to Kalyves)
- Personal expenses & gratuities
- For cancellations over 20 days before the excursion date, any amount paid is refunded.
- For cancellations up to and including 20 days before the excursion date, no amount paid is refunded.
Good to know:
Hiking time (approx.): 3.5 hrs + stops
Elevation difference: 215m - 350m - 150m
Walking on: Path (sometimes uneven terrain, earth, and stones), dirt track, paved stone path.
Suitable for: Anyone in good health who enjoys hiking, children over 12 yrs.
Don´t forget: Hiking boots (closed/sports shoes), sun hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, water, snack/fruit, camera, hiking poles (advisable)
PLEASE NOTE: If excursions have to be canceled due to unsuitable weather (heatwaves, high winds, heavy rain predicted, etc), then any amount already paid is refunded. The decision to cancel rests with our Partner Travel Agency. Often, weather conditions can differ greatly from one location in Crete to another (e.g. north to south) so do not be put off by weather conditions where you are staying in Crete. Please note that weather conditions can only be predicted 1-2 days prior to the excursion date, especially at the beginning and end of the summer (April/May and October). On the date of the excursion, each participant will be asked to sign a “Participant agreement, release, and acknowledgment of risk” statement in order to participate in the excursion.
Health issues: If any participant suffers from any severe allergy (e.g. to bee stings) or has medical/health issues we need to be aware of, it is important to let us know in advance. This is clearly a safety measure, personal information is by no means violated and all discretion is exercised.
Insurance: The partner travel agency is covered by Professional Liability Insurance. Each participant is advised to take out health/travel insurance before traveling to Crete.
The reviews for the Half-Day Hiking Tour In Picturesque Villages of Apokoronas