- Lato Hotel is in a unique location to explore Heraklion the birthplace of El Greco and Nikos Kazantzakis.
- The Palace of Knossos the biggest and most impressive palace of the Minoan civilization and the capital of Minoan Crete, is situated just 5km away. To beat the crowds and avoid the heat, get there before 10.00 am. A combined ticket with the Iraklio Archaeological Museum costs 10 euros.
- Very close to Knossos is the village of Archanes which has won the 2nd "best-restored village in Europe" prize. There are four archeological sites here - one in the village (a fenced excavation) and three close by, at Anemospilia, at Fourni (on the edge of the village - a Minoan graveyard) and the fourth one, Vathypetro, on the way to Houdetsi is worthwhile not only for the finds but also some of the most magnificent views of Crete which you can see from the site - a unique vantage point.
- As you return to Heraklion visit also the Archeological Museum of Heraklion. The Archaeological Museum of Heraklion is one of the most important and significant museums in Greece. The museum was built during the years 1937-1940 and hosts 20 rooms with exhibits originating exclusively from Crete. These exhibits come mostly from central and eastern Crete and cover a history of 5.500 years. The exhibits are presented following the chronological evolution of the Minoan civilization.
- Visit the Historical Museum of Crete. It was founded in 1953 by the Society of Cretan Historical Studies. It is housed in a three-story neoclassical building owned by the Kalokairinos family and constitutes another important element of Cretan history and tradition. It comprises 12 rooms showing the evolution of Cretan civilization from the Christian period until the 20th century. It includes pictures, historical heirlooms, books, maps, Cretan costumes and many other exhibits depicting in the best way the Crete of the past.
- Familiarize yourself with the natural wealth of Crete and mainland Greece at the Natural History Museum of Crete. Among others, the purpose is to understand the relation between the old civilizations and the natural environment, to get to know the impressive past, the future of Crete and the Mediterranean through the fossils, rocks, and minerals presented.
- I spent some time at the Museum of Visual Arts (METH) which was established in 2000 by K. Schizakis and is a meeting place for fruitful discussions between creators and art enthusiasts. It is a place of intellectual development, cultivation, education, and entertainment. Important events in art's most particular aspects are organized and hosted in the museum.
- Nearby of Lato is the Koules Fortress, 'The Venice of the East', as it was described during the Venetian rule, which is the trademark of the medieval city of Heraklion. Koules Fortress was built in 1523-1540 offering a spectacular view to the Cretan sea and is the vigilant guard that protects the city of Heraklion.
- The tomb of the most beloved writer of Crete, N, Kazantzakis is located on the southern part of the Venetian Walls, on the tower Martinengo. Its wooden cross bears his famous quote: 'I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free'. Offering a view to the entire city of Heraklion, this part of the city makes clear that no homage will ever be enough for this great man.
- Located 63 km south-west of Heraklion, the ruins of Phaistos palace are the second most significant palace complex of Minoan Crete and a unique cradle of cultural wealth. The old and the new palace, the royal living accommodations, the storage areas, the workshops, etc. stand out from the monuments of Phaistos archaeological site. The most important finding displayed at the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion is the famous 'Phaistos Disc'.
- With a history of thousands of years, Gortyn or Gortys, one of the most important archaeological sites in Greece and erstwhile capital of Crete in the past, welcomes us. 45 minutes from Heraklion, the beating heart of the story by the famous Praetorium. Near the plates with the laws of Gortyn, the Roman theater and baths, the Temple of Apollo, the surviving ancient coins and in each find and exhibit maximum cultural value. Gortyn other outside the ruins of St. Titus, who was one of the first churches of Christendom.
- The large Cretaquarium, 15 km east of Heraklion (located at the former American Base in Gournes) offers its visitors a great view of the Mediterranean's sea wealth. Those wishing to live the magical experience of the silent world of the sea are welcome to come 'face to face' with hundreds of species and thousands of sea organisms.
- For wine lovers, we propose the Bouttari's winery in Skalani village (13km), We propose the guided tour through the winemaking process, the installations, and the barrel cellars.
- Explore Rethymno's old town, perhaps the prettiest of Crete's Venetian cities and especially the waterfront and the streets just behind. Walk along the .harbour wall to the Venetian lighthouse. The Fortezza (fortress) was built by the Venetians in 1573 to protect the city. Not only are walls, churches and the remains of its buildings of interest, the view from it to the town area great way to start planning your tour of the town. There are also sweeping sea views. Open daily.
- Lassithi Plateau is ideal for those who love cycling. Enjoy the 18km ride that goes through almost all the little villages. This ride is especially nice.
- Visit the small town of Agios Nikolaos, the town with its unique features, the lake ("Voulismeni"), a folklore-inspiringly deep body of water which is connected to the sea by a narrow inlet. It is surrounded and overlooked by cafes and restaurants - a busy gathering place for residents and visitors alike.
- The next stop is the cosmopolitan Elounda. The way from Agios Nikolaos to Elounda is one of the most beautiful ways on the island. Keep driving to the village of Plaka, with a marvelous view of Spinalonga Island. A visit to the island is a must and will be unforgettable!
- For golf lovers, the Crete Golf Club, the only 18-hole golf course on the island and one of the most impressive courses of the Mediterranean, which holds a unique challenge and a pleasant experience for both golf players and visitors all year round, is located just 25 km away.
- We propose to organize full-day excursions to the south coasts, like the well-organized Matala beach, famous since 1960, as the hipes used to live there, in the caves, facing the bay and organizing parties. You can also visit the next beach Komos, a long sandy beach. with many trees for natural shadow. It would be better to go there on a quiet day with no wind.
- Our third beach proposal is the beach Agiofarago, just have in mind that from the parking place you need to walk 30 min. to reach the beach. At that beach, you will feel that you have a private beach. At this beach, there are also rocks appropriate for climbing. If you like climbing, don't forget your equipment.
- More uplifting activities in Heraklion region.
- Check-in: 14.00 pm
- Check out: 12.00 pm
- Minimum Stay: 1-3 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy: Please check here
- Cancellation Policy: Please check here
How To Get There
Lato Boutique Hotel is in a unique location. It "hangs over" the old harbor of the city offering visitors unlimited views of the Venetian castle and the endless blue of the Cretan Sea. It is found in the center of the old city of Heraklion, in a beautiful and peaceful neighborhood, just a few steps away from the central market. You may choose among alternative options to explore the city and the island.
- By Air
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Heraklion (5km) or Chania (150km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
"The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Heraklion Port (500m). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries via our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
Latitude: 35.341698 and Longitude: 25.136595
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Aroma Restaurant hosts the breakfast area and welcomes guests to enjoy its rich buffet. With a large variety in salty and sweet delicacies created with fresh Cretan products, delicious home-made marmalade made with seasonal fruit and fragrant coffee, your day starts in Lato Boutique Hotel in the most beautiful way. The three restaurants of Lato Boutique Hotel enhance the culinary dynamics of the hotel in the most enjoyable way
- Internet Access: WiFi access in all rooms and all public areas
- Internet corner pc provides to the quests the ability to gain Internet access and printing
- Spa: Petite Wellness Area (Steam bath - Hydro massage) (on request) and a Mini Gym
- Swimming Pool: Not available
- Meetings/Functions: Lato offers event and conference organization services of high standards all year round. The conference and function rooms accommodate 60 guests and offer a wide range of state-of-the-art audio-visual equipment. These rooms can also host any kind of social or professional event, up to 100 people.
- Theme Events: Lato Boutique Hotel organizes theme and anniversary dinners of high quality and at competitive prices, while at the same time it creates the ideal environment of entertainment and culinary enjoyment.
- Disabled Access: Suitable
- Pets: Small pets are allowed, on request
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English, German, French
- Parking: Complimentary parking and valet service. Also, private parking is possible nearby