Space...the last great luxury. At Eleonas, you’ll find a pleasing amount of space between the individual cottages or small cluster of cabins among trees and soaring mountain rockscapes on the edge of and overlooking Zaros.
"Paradise. The situation is beautiful and peaceful. Marvellous walks in the mountains and the south coast is only a scenic 30 minutes away. Excellent Cretan cuisine. The owner and his staff could not have been more hospitable." - Guest comment (We agree!)
An agrotourism settlement with 20 rustic cottages, a tranquil pool, and a great taverna to taste local food. Eleonas Traditional Cottates is just 48km away from Heraklion Airport, at the foothill of Idi Mountain and at the entrance of Zaros canyon. Situated within a 2-hectare property full of olive groves and other plants, you are close to nature.
Zaros has proved popular with those of our guests wishing to find the heartbeat (a gentle one) of this central area of Crete. Now with Eleonas, you can enjoy the country and be a few minutes from the village, the local Rouvas Gorge, and away from other holidaymakers' havens.
There is a pleasing dining area and café with large, light-drenched windows leading onto a wide, wood deck, open to rock and tree mountainscapes – and at the edge of your view is the monastery above.
The cabins are simple, pleasant, functional and the photos here show the space between them, the easy comfort they offer.
Walk down to a large pool with plenty of terrace on which to relax, recline, and sunbathe. The café or bar are open all day and the restaurant serves breakfast and meals.
Go farther. The same family who run Eleonas have spruced up the taverna at Zaros' little lake – a pleasant and different place for a meal. Interesting footpaths start near the taverna and allow you to climb the mountain a little...or a long way.
- Hotel Name: Eleonas Traditional Cottages
- Area: Heraklion, Zaros
- Why Go: Rural, Quiet Location, Countryside, Mountains, Peaceful Rural Setting in Village, Rustic
Why we like it
- A great base from which to visit the archaeological sites of Knossos, Phaestos and Gortys... and some of the best beaches in southern Crete.
- Superb services and facilities for the price... good value for money!
- Manolis and his family have created a getaway mountain paradise on the wonderful island of Crete.
What to know
- You really need a car to explore the lovely surrounding area and the sites.
- There is a minimum stay of 3 nights, depending on the season.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Small Hotels & Inns||Eco :|