- During the summer Pezoulia Traditional Houses organizes some great agrotourism activities :
- Traditional bread kneading. Kneading and baking of the bread.
- Cretan cuisine seminar, traditional Cretan dishes and how they are cooked
- Hiking excursion at the Boufany Canyon (Eagle-Vulture Canyon)
- Hiking excursion to Sarakina Canyon.
- Hiking at Selacano forest (Black forest)
- Seminar on Cretan herbs and their therapeutic properties
More to do ...
- Visit the cave of Neraidogoula one of nature’s well-hidden secrets – presents an inexplicable phenomenon. Sometimes in August unbelievable quantities of water flow out of the depths of the cave, flood the “Psoriaris” river, and cause catastrophes. Perhaps this is why it took the name “Neraidogoula”, which means ” Fairy ‘s spring”.
- The gorge of Parsa An exciting mountain route between the settlements of Selakano and Metaxohori in a forested area full of springs and little streams.
- Selakano is an excellent starting point for off-road trips to the picturesque Dikti mountains. A trip inside the woods (with jeeps or bikes) ) is not something you want to miss. The area is generally accessible as it is crossed by a dense network of country roads, the majority of which is passable all through the year.
- E4 European Path. Each year, thousands of climbers and hikers pass through the area of Selakano, as it is a part of the E4 path’s route. The European path E4 after thousands of kilometers of paths, having passed through many European countries ends here, in the prefecture of Lasithi. It enters Lasithi from the west side of the mountains of Dikti and the Tihos settlement. After a long as well as magnificent route it reaches Selakano and continues to the villages of Prina, Meseleri, Vasiliki, and Papagianades. The end of the path E4 is Kato Zakros in the municipality of Sitia.
- The Sarakina canyon leaving Selakano on the way to the settlement of Mythi you can see the sign that points to the Sarakina canyon. Follow it and in a few minutes, you will find yourself at the entrance of this magnificent canyon. Remember that there are stream waters inside the canyon all year long, so you will need the right shoes and perhaps a towel. During the winter and at the beginning of spring the water level inside the canyon makes it impossible to cross.
- Only 15 kilometers from the settlement of Selakano you may find amazing beaches and taste delicious fish dishes in local seaside taverns.
- Myrtos a beautiful sea-side village with marvelous beaches with crystal-clear waters that are always calm since Myrtos’ bay is protected by the strong summer winds.
- Tertsa Traditional little village with a relatively secluded beach. In the village's only tavern you can enjoy Cretan cuisine and a beautiful view of the Libyan sea.
- Psari Forada another sea-side village that combines beautiful as well as a calm sea with great taverns and little coffee shops that also serve raki and starters.
- Ierapetra the southernmost town of Europe, a town of 15.000 people. Beautiful, clean beaches and many restaurants with delicious traditional Cretan cuisine are the main features of this town. There is also a variety of choices for your entertainment: seaside cafes, bars, and traditional “raki” bars.
- Enjoy a day trip to the Island of Chrisi. Swimming in its crystal clear, green-blue waters and relaxing on its long white beaches is a unique experience. Chrisi is 40minutes from Ierapetra with regular ferry trips during the summer.
- Oreon Festival (from the 5th until the 15th of August) – Cultural Festival
- Stock-raising and dairy production in Selakano Guests of Selakano are free to watch or take part in the daily chores of local shepherds and stock-raisers, feeding and taking care of the animals, as well as milking the goats and making traditional cheese and yogurt.
- The number of Byzantine churches, chapels, and monasteries scattered in the area is remarkable. Among them, some have superb and valuable icons. However one should not miss the Monastery of Panagia Exakousti, one of the most beautiful monasteries in Crete, a true oasis of hospitality and reverence.
- Hire a car (our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com) and explore the stark and stunning far east of Crete: start at the sleepy town of Sitia, continue past Toplou monastery (forbidding exterior, welcoming monks), to the tropical palm beaches at Vai (crowded in summer) or Palekastro (less crowded, but less palmy); maybe Xerokambos and don’t miss the breathtaking ‘Valley of the Dead’ and Minoan ruins at Zakros.
- More uplifting activities in East Crete
- Check out: 12.00 pm
- Minimum Stay: 2-3 nights, depending on the season
- Payment Policy:
With these special houses, a 15% deposit is charged upon confirmation on a credit card and the balance is payable at Pezoulia Houses (in cash).
Houses do not have credit card accepting facilities, you will need to pay the balance in CASH.
- Cancellation Policy:
Up to 4 weeks before arrival - full refund.
After that period, the deposit is not refundable, in addition, if you cancel.
Not arriving at the hotel for your booking: the full balance will be charged (at the hotel's discretion).
Departure before booked departure date: at the hotel's discretion, the full balance may be charged by the hotel.
How To Get There
Pezoulia Traditional Houses is located at Selakano (Greek: Σελάκανο) which is a forested valley and a hamlet in the municipality of Ierapetra on the island of Crete. Selakano forms one of the most important ecosystems on Crete.
- By Air
From May through mid-October there are direct charter flights to Heraklion (93km), Sitia (97km), and Chania (237km). Tickets can be bought in advance for almost all flights via our partner website.
- By Sea
"The journey is the thing". A superb way of enjoying the journey to Crete is to fly to Athens and take the ferry from Piraeus (Pireas) - the port serving Athens. A still-romantic way to travel by the overnight ferry from Piraeus to Heraklion Port (90km). Tickets can be bought in advance for all ferries from our partner website.
- By Car
If you want to explore the region while you're here, we recommend that you rent a car, other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. We suggest our sister website Crete-Car-Rental.com, which offers competitive prices and you can collect your car at either airport.
- By Taxi
Book your taxi transfer online easily and safely from the airport or port to any location via our partner website.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through CreteTravel.com
- Dining: Cooking here is a pleasure. The fully equipped kitchen-diner offers you all the facilities in order to prepare your own local products-based meals. Upon arrival, you will find a welcome basket filled with local products and all the necessary to prepare your first breakfast (milk, coffee, tea, eggs, cheese, honey, jam, butter) and all kinds of spices, oil, and raki.
- Swimming Pool: Available, an outdoor pool overlooking great Cretan nature and mountains
- Spa Treatments: Not available
- Disabled Access: Not suitable
- Pets: Allowed (on request)
- Languages Spoken: Greek, English
- Parking: A parking place is just a few steps away from the houses
- Heating: Central heating, fireplace, and air-conditioning