Walk away from the Venetian harbour, the clear gem and magical focus of Chania and you begin to find buildings in the back streets, still close to the harbour that are ripe for restoration.
One such building has had magic worked upon it - it is now Ionas Hotel. This is one of the new breed of boutique hotels in the quiet Splantzia quarter, with an elegant wood-and-stone exterior.
As you walk into the marble floored ground level cafe which merges into the reception area, the boutique furniture and solid walls, the glistening modernity facing off with the ancient walls of the building, lead to a craftsman created staircase of well worked wood and iron.
If you wish to take the easy way this old building boasts an elevator so you can swoosh up to your elegant and stylish room.
8 rooms and a suite are offered. Rooms are wood floored, with stone-and-faced walls, all bathrooms are modern and pleasing, with massage-jets. Each room is entered through the uniquely formed and decorated bleached wood door with inset decorative motif. The TV and mini-bar take care of any need to be entertained by outside sources while you stay in cozy symphony with your travelers' base in Chania.
The rooftop terrace awaits for an early morning appraisal of the air that Chania offers that day, or to wait and relax while your partner adds the final touches before you go out in the evening to make another delightful gastronomic discovery and sip a newfound wine at one of Chania's scores of restaurants. Breakfast is served in the cafe downstairs.
Ionas situated in the most quiet, authentic section of town and is a few minutes' stroll from the harbour. One of Chania's most unique restaurants is a few doors away, otherwise you are in old residential patch of the old town. Many of the city's monuments and museums within walking distance.
One thing to note is that Ionas is not always "manned" in the afternoon & evening, a key to the main entrance is given to each guest. If you need help with something, the owner is a phone call away.
- Hotel Name: Ionas Hotel
- Area: Chania, Chania Town
- Why Go: Elegant,Rustic,Design,Nightlife,Shopping,Romantic
Why we like it
- Ionas is tastefully renovated older building located in a quiet part of the old town, close to all amenities, staffed by very helpful unobtrusive personnel, very reasonable price for the city of Chania.
- This is one of the new breed of boutique hotels in the quiet Splantzia quarter, with an elegant wood-and-stone exterior.
- The nice terrace on the second floor is a perfect place to relax in the sun.
- Five minute walk to the Venetian Port, few more to the old Market, shopping within two minutes' walk.
- Very helpful and friendly staff. And an excellent location - quiet but still very central.
What to know
- The reception is not always "manned" in the afternoon & evening. It would be nice to inform us about your arrival time. In case you need anything the owner is always available on the phone.
- All rooms are very quiet with wooden shutters and double glazing.
- No parking at the hotel since there's no road that leads directly to it
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Small Hotels & Inns||Architecture & style :|
|Rooms:||9||Cheap & Chic :|
|Pool:||No||Nice atmosphere :|
|Dining:||Breakfast||Quality of Service :|
|Children:||Yes||Young Couples :|
|Closed:||Never||City Style :|