To Spiti is a magical experience, a beautiful place to stay and to explore the beauty and history of Chania Town.
To Spiti is a small, charming three storey Venetian house located in the historic Ottoman quarter of Splanzia, right in the heart of the beautiful old city of Chania.
For those who seek to experience an authentic and atmospheric accommodation while at the same time enjoying all the modern conveniences of a contemporary self-catering residence.
To Spiti is a perfect choice for 2 people or a family with up to 2 older children (6-18 years old) due to the functionality of the house.
It is a perfect base if wanting to stay away from the crowds but so close to the beautiful Venetian harbour and its tavernas.
This small charming house covers 80 square meters and is 600 years old. It is located in the narrow streets around the historic Square of Saint Nicholas of Splanzia and is a small part of the rich history of the town of Chania.
It was built about 1400 by an affluent Venetian family of merchants. The current structure is only a part of the original estate which was divided into three separate dwellings, a common practice during the Turkish occupation.
Traces of its noble past can still be seen in the archways of the interiors, in the living room’s modified fireplace and in the two entrances found on its narrow façade.
The names of the many inhabitants of the residence have been lost through the passage of time, except for one, Mrs. Despina, who lived there from the early 1900’s to about 1980 when she passed away. She lived an impoverished existence and made her living as a laundress.
In 1991, in shambles, the house was purchased by the Tsourounaki family. Immediately the family began an, in depth, reconstruction which lasted almost three years. The original wooden beams were placed on the first floor of the structure and even the original wash basin found a new place within the residence.
While workers were involved in its reconstruction, they came across a magnificent Turkish marble engravement as well as a number of vintage advertising posters which now decorate the kitchen area.
After years of serving as the main residence of a family member, the house was turned into a residence offering accommodation for discerning travellers.
- Hotel Name: To Spiti
- Area: Chania, Chania Town
- Why Go: City Style,Art & Culture,Elegant,Quiet Location,Relaxed,Romantic,Shopping
Why we like it
- To Spiti is a beautiful place to stay and to explore the beauty and history of Chania Town
- It is a perfect base if wanting to stay away from the crowds but so close to the beautiful Venetian harbour and its tavernas.
- Tassos your gracious host has many suggestions for eateries and day trips and he will be able to provide you with maps and recommendations which are spot on.
- Two Bicycles are available for you in order to discover another aspect of Chania
- The ringing of the church bell on Sunday mornings and on the hour is something special ,transporting you to a different age of simplicity and innocence.
What to know
- If you don't want to travel out of the town of Chania you should not hre a car as you have all you need on your foot.
- To Spiti as most Venetian structures, has its foundations resting on rocks and boulders from which sea salt rises into the walls of the ground floor.
- Whoever stays in the house for longer than three nights, should have the courtesy of watering the flowers on the terrace.
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Houses||Architecture & style :|
|Rooms:||1||Cheap & Chic :|
|Pool:||No||City Style :|
|Dining:||No||Young Couples :|
|Children:||6 years and over||Nice atmosphere :|