Villa Athermigo, nestled in Apokoronas Chania area, in Agios Pavlos nearby the picturesque Gavalochori Village a short drive away from the sea.
It is an ancient monument, a remarkable example of local, traditional architecture. If you combine harmony, tranquility, privacy, and high aesthetics with a warm and gracious hospitality, you’ll have a good sense of this characterful property.
Villa Athermigo is a deluxe private estate consisting of a privately-owned oil press converted into a restaurant-living room and three independent suites named after the trees gracing their entrances. The Elia (Olive tree), the Rodia (Pomegranate tree), and the Karydia (Walnut tree) suites can accommodate a maximum of 10 guests. This property is rented in its entirety as a villa or as individual, self-contained Cottage Houses (Elia Cottage House with shared pool, Rodia Cottage House with shared pool, and Karydia Cottage House with shared pool) each sleeping between 2 and 4 people.
The suites, two quadruples and one double, reveal a successful blend of new and old. Rustic on the outside, country-chic on the inside, they are spacious, comfortable, and tastefully decorated. The bathrooms, partly open-plan, are especially stylish.
Athermigo is a little paradise that has recently been given a new lease on life as a private retreat for a group of friends or family.
Unique at Athermigo is the 18th century restored olive press. Elements such as the main entrance, the stone openings, the interior patio, the traditional exterior oven, the well, and the semi-circular arches typical of the period’s architecture, as well as the original oil extraction machinery, have all been preserved intact.
Immense love and care has been lavished on this ancient house. The careful restoration was carried out with full respect for the original architecture and the spirit of the place. The renovation process resulted in a luxurious and contemporary guest house complete with a resplendent garden overflowing with fruit trees, shady sitting corners, and colorful flowers and herbs to delight.
The luxurious and atmospheric lounge area with kitchen, blissful chill-out pool, courtyard and garden give the sense and scale of a boutique hotel, yet with total exclusivity and an array of pampering services for guests to choose from. The gorgeous chill-out swimming pool (100% ecological with saltwater filtration system) is ideally situated, providing privacy and peace.
The name “Athermigo” is derived from the unique olive oil of the same name, superior for the traditional methods of extraction and production used – never has such a small quantity embodied such unsurpassed quality. Only a few have been fortunate enough to taste it: the workers of the old traditional oil press and those closest to them once savored this pure olive oil. This therapeutic, healing oil. This “sacred” oil.
- Hotel Name: Villa Athermigo
- Area: Chania, Gavalochori
- Why Go: Peaceful Rural Setting in Village, Village Atmosphere, Quiet Location, Elegant, Family-Friendly, Friendly Environment, Mountains, Private Pool, Romantic, Rustic
Why we like it
- We love the beautiful suites, the gorgeous gardens, and the feeling of complete peace and quiet. This is a true retreat.
- In the heart of this small and most pleasingly friendly, traditional village, three independent renovated stone-built traditional suites with mountain views for a unique Cretan experience.
- Gavalochori Village is near Chania (half an hour by car) in an area of attractive rolling hills speckled with villages. It has some lovely tavernas for sampling Crete's famously healthy cuisine. All within a short drive to sea and sandy beaches, attractive villages nearby.
- A true invitation to relax and discover the Cretan traditions and the lovely, unique area of Apokoronas.
- The pool is divine and almost chlorine-free, so no worries at all if your children spend all day in it. Time to read a great book! Time for you.
What to know
- The villa is normally only rented for group and family bookings, but is also available as individual self-contained Cottage Houses (Elia Cottage House with Sharing Pool, Rodia Cottage House with Sharing Pool & Karydia Cottage House with Sharing Pool) each sleeping between 2 and 4 people.
- We recommend that you rent a car as other means of transport are limited and/or infrequent. (You cannot reach Villa Athermigo by public transport).
|Hotel Information||Recommended For|
|Type:||Villas||Architecture & style :|
|Pool:||Private Pool||Weddings & Groups :|
|Dining:||Yes||Nice atmosphere :|
|Children:||Welcome||Village Atmosphere :|